Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Reality Star / Athlete



I was on the phone with my mom today talking about sports. She is from an older generation, one where the players played just to play, blah blah blah. Personally I don't think the players ever played just to play, it was always incentive driven. Perhaps not money but celebrity status, women or a host of other reasons.

Anyway, she is discouraged by the persona that athletes have taken on lately. They commit crimes, do drugs, and are most concerned with their new shoe deal than their batting average. This got me to thinking about some of the most popular athletes today and what we pay more attention to: on the field play, or off the field persona.

T.O. got his own reality show, Ochocinco just released his new iphone app, Tony Romo dates the hottest country singer in the business, and then moves on to the hottest reject pop singer around. I have read just as much info on Romo's QB rating as I did his trip to Cabo last year during the playoffs.

I know some of you are probably thinking I read People magazine too much, and this is not the case with sports. Well let me ask you this. Before the season began, did you hear more about Shawn Merriman's progress and development this year as the premiere linebacker for the Chargers, or about him choking out Tila Tequila in a drunken episode? Be honest.

I am not saying this is the case with every athlete...only the big time athletes. Without picking up a gossip tabloid, you probably already know who Arod is dating. You probably already know which former Cowboys runningback beat out Saved by the Bell's Slater in the first season of Dancing with the Stars. And you have most likely seen which Pittsburgh Steeler is now the spokesperson for Head and Shoulders (those commercials are great by the way).

If you still don't buy it, next time you watch a game sit back and really think about all the connections you can make to a player that don't relate to sports. I think you might be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment